Thought I would share the recipie which is essentially a variant to the No-Knead Bread Recipes. Couldn’t be easier and it is unbelievably delicious.
- 2 cups room temp water in a good sized mixing bowl
- Add a short 1/2 tsp of dry yeast
- let sit for 3-4 minutes for the yeast to dissolve and then stir until water is cloudy
- add 4 cups flour mix (see below)
- 1 heaping TSP of sea salt
- heaping 1/2 cup of chopped/halved pecans
- heaping 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup hulled sunflower seeds
- OPTIONAL – 2 Tablespoons honey
- Stir until dough is sticky – should be much wetter than usual bread dough – add water as needed
- Cover with damp towel and let sit for 12-18 hours
- Roll onto well floured surface and press the CO2 out of the dough.
- Form a ball and let the dough ‘rest’ for 15 minutes
- press the dough out again and form into loaf and place into rising bowl – seam side down
- let rise for 90 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 F and place covered container (pyrex, dutch oven, bread cloche) inside to heat up as well
- After dough has risen for 2 hours- total-, and oven is at 450 , remove baking dish to stovetop and roll dough into the baking dish so that the seam side is up.
- Cover baking dish and return to oven
- Bake 30 minutes covered
- Remove cover and reduce heat to 425 for 10-15 minutes
- Remove bread when crust is hard and deep golden brown
- Let bread cool for as long as you can (10 minutes preferred, but I never make it that long!)
Flour Mix: I use a 25% whole wheat mix:: 3 cups white + 1 cup whole wheat + 3 tbsp wheat germ + 1/4 cup wheat bran. I also add 1/2 cup ground flax. Mix very well with a spoon, etc. I keep a large container of this mix on the counter and use it for much of my baking – from pancakes to bread to pizza dough. As my kids and wife are all vegetarian, the extra protein and fats from the flax is good assurance of their health (we spend heavily on health ASSURANCE not just health INSURANCE) and the white flour ensures the bread is light enough to form a good crumb.
Filed under: How To's